MP Update for November 18
Follow us on Instagram: meridianparkelementary
Wednesday – Early Release Day, 1:50 Dismissal
Thursday – Community Coffee, 9:05AM in the MP lobby (see below)
Thursday – Lockdown DRILL at 1:30 pm (classes will discuss in advance)
Friday – ASB Spirit Day: Mismatch Day, (see below)
Registration for Highly Capable Testing is now Open! In Janaury 2020, Shoreline is offering HiCap eligibility testing to students grade 1-6, for services beginning next school year. Any student not previously screened or tested during the 2019-2020 school year make take the test. NOTE: All Shoreline Kindergarten and 2nd grade students are screened for highly capable program eligibility in their classrooms in the fall. Kinder and second grade students DO NOT need to register for testing. Registration will close on December 20, 2019 at 4pm. No late registrations will be accepted. For more information or to register on-line, please visit www.shorelineschools.org/Domain/90, or contact the HiCap program office at (206)393-4771.
COMMUNITY COFFEE: Join us in the Meridian Park lobby on Thursday at 9:05AM for free coffee and conversation! This month’sCommunity Coffee will focus on MP’s English Language Learners (ELL) program. We will hear from our ELL teachers and learn more about how Meridian Park serves our ELL students. Learn more about this event and RSVP HERE.
MISMATCH DAY: This month’s Spirit Day is Mismatch Day! Are both of your socks from different pairs? Do all your colors clash? Perfect! Wear your crazy, mismatch outfit to school this Friday.
6th GRADE CAMP FUNDRAISING: Cookie dough orders are due next Monday, Nov. 25th for delivery on Friday, Dec. 13th. Each 3-pound tub from Cougar Mountain Baking Company costs $17, and 50% comes back to MP to help reduce the cost of camp. Dough comes in 9 different flavors, keeps for 3 months in the fridge or 12 months in the freezer – a great gift for the holidays. So, find a 6th grader and order some dough!
VARIETY SHOW: Watch for details coming home on Wednesday about this year’s Variety Show. Auditions take place on Thursday, 12/12. The performance will be on Friday, 1/24. Let’s celebrate our MP talents!
MPPTSA ANNUAL FUNDRAISER: The Meridian Park PTSA is asking our families to support their Annual Fundraising Campaign throughout November! Donate through the website MPPTSA.org, PayPal, or by check/cash. Every donation receives a Cheetah Champion key ring and a chance to win a gift card to Ohana Restaurant, generously donated by the Yoshimura family.
YEARBOOK COVER DESIGN CONTEST: Student artists, you are invited to submit a full-color, 8.5 x 11″ original artwork incorporating our yearbook theme of “Looking to the Future 20/20.” Remember, this is the cover, so the more full the page the better it will look! E-mail questions to Molly Nordstrand at email@example.com. Submissions due 1/20.
DECEMBER BOOK FAIR: Volunteers are needed for the one-day Book Fair on Tuesday, December 3rd. If you can help for an hour (or more) during the times below, please contact Jenny Hillger, MP librarian, at (206)393-4125 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SET-UP: Tuesday, November 26th, 3:00-4:00PM
- BOOK FAIR: Tuesday, December 3rd, 12:00 – 8:00PM (fair is closed 4-5PM)
UPCOMING EVENTS & VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
- Wednesday, 11/27:
- 11:45AM DISMISSAL
- PTSA Movie 12:00PM, “Aristocats” (details HERE)
- Thursday/Friday, 11/28 & 29: Thanksgiving Break – NO SCHOOL
- Monday, 12/2:
- Food & Teen Gift Drive begins
- Pulling Back the Curtain on Equity in Shoreline Schools,” 5:30-7:00PM; details HERE.
- Tuesday 12/3:
- One-Day December Book Fair
- MPPTSA meeting & 3rd Grade choral performance, 6:00-8:00PM
- Free film screening of “2e2: Teaching the Twice Exceptional” (English with Spanish sub-titles), 7:00-9:00PM at the Shoreline Conference Center; please RSVP HERE.
- Thursday, 12/5: All School Skate Night, 6:00-8:00PM; admission is $8 and includes skate rental; inline skate upgrade is $3.25. For scholarship vouchers, see Annie Gage or email her at Annie.Gage@Shorelineschools.org
- Thursday, 12/12: Variety Show auditions
- All Year: Support your Meridian Park PTSA! MPPTSA helps provide access to programs, events, clubs, and so much more. There are lots of ways to participate: Become a member | Fill out the volunteer survey | Turn in your box tops | Link your Fred Meyer card [PTSA#TY486] | Do you have a business you want to promote AND support the MPPTSA at the same time? Contact Naomi Hillyard at email@example.com to find out how.
From the Office: We are looking forward to another great week of leading and learning. For your info, we will be holding a required 10 minute Lockdown Drill on Wednesday at 1:30 pm. Teachers and students will discuss in advance. Gratitude is our idea of the month and we are so grateful for our families and our learning community: one community, stronger together. We hope to see you soon. – MP Staff