MP Update for November 4
Follow us on Instagram: meridianparkelementary
CONFERENCES are this week! Each day will be HALF DAY RELEASE with 11:45AM dismissal.
Tuesday – MPPTSA Meeting, 6:30-8:00PM (see below)
Wednesday – Assembly to honor veterans (Kindergarten), 9:30AM (see below)
Wednesday – “Angst” Film Screening, 7:00-9:00PM at Brookside Elementary, co-hosted by MPPTSA (see below)
Thursday – Staff Appreciation lunch (see below)
Thursday – MPPTSA grant applications due (see below)
Thursday – Shoreline Special Needs PTSA (SSNPTSA) General Membership meeting, 6:30-8:30 PM at Shoreline center
Thursday – Math Information Sessions in the Library at 5:30, 6:00, OR 6:30. Stop by to learn about our new math program! (see below)
Friday – Assembly to honor Veterans (grades 1-6), 9:30AM
Math Info Night: On Thursday night our Instructional Coaches will provide short information sessions regarding our new district math programs. No reservation required! Just show up at one of the times listed above to learn and ask questions. This is a great way to understand what your teacher is talking about this year and how your student is learning.
PARENT FEEDBACL SURVEY DUE NOVEMBER 15: *The survey takes less than 10 minutes to complete and is 100 percent anonymous and confidential*. The Shoreline School District is committed to continuous improvement. To support that work, you are being asked to participate in an important online survey. The survey measures perceptual data based on OSPI’s Nine Characteristics of High Performing Schools. The data gathered will be used to support the development and implementation of school district priorities for continuous improvement and school improvement plans. Click HERE to take the Survey. If you have any questions, please contact the Public Information Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.393.4412
Computers will be available in the main foyer and halls if you would like to complete your survey during your conference visit!
MPPTSA MEETING: Join us on Tuesday at 6:30PM in the MP Library for our monthly PTSA meeting. Hear updates from our school administration, annual fundraising, the classroom grant cycle, and other PTSA efforts!
VETERANS DAY ASSEMBLIES: Assemblies to honor veterans will be on Wednesday at 9:30 am (K) and Friday at 9:30 am (grades 1-6). Veterans are invited to attend and be honored! Simply show up before 9:30 am and let the office know when you sign in.
FILM SCREENING: This is an opportunity to view the film “Angst: Raising Awareness About Anxiety,” a documentary that explores anxiety, its causes and effects, and what we can do about it. The event is being hosted at Brookside Elementary by the Brookside PTA, co-sponsored by MPPTSA and Lake Forest Park PTA. The film will begin at 7:00PM, with a panel discussion to follow. Students in grades 4 and up are welcome to attend. For more information, visit the event page HERE.
STAFF APPRECIATION: Thank you to everyone who has signed up to bring an appetizer or other item for our hard-working staff! You can sign up or view the item(s) you already signed up for HERE. Please bring items to the staff lounge by 11:15 AM. E-mail Miranda Jennings at email@example.com with questions or if you need ideas.
GRANT APPLICATIONS: Meridian Park PTSA has $6,000 of grant funds available for the ’19-’20 school year to support enrichment, unique learning opportunities, and program enhancement. Anyone in the MP community can apply for a PTSA grant. Applications are due Thursday, Nov. 7th by 5:00PM via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Visit the Meridian Park PTSA Grant Opportunities webpage to download the application, guidelines, and see examples of previously funded projects. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, or if you would like to be part of the team that reviews projects for funding!
YEARBOOK COVER DESIGN CONTEST: The yearbook staff is having a Cover Contest for the 2019-2020 MP yearbook. Student artwork will be due January 10th. It must be in Full Color, on 8.5X11 inch paper, and incorporate our yearbook theme – “Looking to the Future 20/20”. Remember that this is the cover, so the more full the page the better it will look! E-mail questions to Molly Nordstrand at email@example.com.
DECEMBER BOOK FAIR: Volunteers are needed for the one-day Book Fair on Tuesday, December 3rd. If you can help during one of the shifts below, or during any custom time frame, please contact Jenny Hillger, MP librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-393-4125. We would love to have at least 3 volunteers per shift.
- SET-UP: Tuesday, November 26th, 3:00-4:00PM
- BOOK FAIR: Tuesday, December 3rd, 8:30 – 10:30AM | 10:15 – 12:15PM | 12:00 – 2:00 | 1:45 – 4:00 | 5:00 – 6:15 | 5:30 – 6:45 | 6:00 – 7:30 | 7:00 – 8:00 (take-down)
From the Office: Happy November! Our theme for this month is ‘gratitude.’ Please discuss ways to show gratitude at home. Our focus this week is Family Conferences and our goal is 100% participation. Please ask if you need help attending. We also ask that all parents complete the district survey (see above), and you can take your survey when you attend your conference by using one of our laptops in the hall. Thank you for our conversations this week to support student learning! – MP Staff
UPCOMING EVENTS & VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
- Monday, 11/11: Veterans Day, NO SCHOOL
- Tuesday, 11/12: Picture re-takes
- Wednesday, 11/13: Parent Education Night 6:30-8pm in the MP cafeteria, featuring Cher Anderton presenting “Tools to Deal with Your Child’s Big Emotions”
- Thursday, 11/21: Community Coffee 9:05-10:05AM
- Wednesday, 11/27: 11:45AM DISMISSAL
- Wednesday, 11/27: PTSA Movie 12:00PM
- Thursday/Friday, 11/28 & 29: Thanksgiving Break – NO SCHOOL
- Tuesday 11/26 (set-up) & Tuesday 12/3: One-Day December Book Fair
- Support your Meridian Park PTSA! MPPTSA helps provide access to programs, events, clubs, and so much more.
- The Meridian Park PTSA kicked off their Annual Fundraising Campaign on Friday, October 25th. This is the time of year when they ask our school community to donate money to support their work, like providing enrichment activities, all-school events, parent education, art docent materials, teacher grants, and more! You can donate through the website MPPTSA.org, PayPal, or by check/cash. Watch for the white envelope and flyer coming home soon. For every donation, you will receive a chance to enter a drawing for a gift card to Ohana Restaurant, generously donated by the Yoshimura family, and a Cheetah Champion key ring!
- Become a member!
- Fill out the volunteer survey
- Turn in your box tops! All Cheetahs (as well as friends, neighbors and relatives!) can help earn money for Meridian Park by participating in the BoxTops for Education program. Look for a flyer in student mail explaining how to get credit for your box tops. For more info, go to https://BTFE.com or email MPPTSAboxtops@gmail.com
- Link your Fred Meyer card. [PTSA#TY486]
- Have a business you want to promote AND support the MPPTSA? Contact Naomi Hillyard at email@example.com to connect and find out how.
End of Weekly UpdateMPE • One Community • Stronger Together • Celebrating Greatness • Celebrating Learning