MP Update for October 28
Follow us on Instagram: meridianparkelementary
Monday, Wednesday, Friday – Annual hearing and vision screenings (see below)
Tuesday – All School Skate Night, 6:00-8:00PM (see below)
Wednesday – Early Release Day, 1:50 Dismissal
Wednesday – Highly Capable Community Meeting, 6:30-8:00PM (see below)
CONFERENCES are the week of November 4th-8th. Each day will be HALF DAY RELEASE with 11:45AM dismissal.
HEARING AND VISION SCREENINGS: Washington State law requires schools to conduct auditory and visual screenings for elementary students in grades K, 1, 2, 3, and 5. Our wonderful school nurse, Tama, will be continuing screenings this week on the following schedule:
- Monday, 10/28 – 9:30AM – 12:30PM & 1:00-3:30PM
- Wednesday, 10/30 – 9:30AM – 12:30PM
- Friday, 11/1 – 9:30AM – 12:30PM; 1:00-3:30PM
Can you volunteer? No experience is necessary and training will be provided. It is preferred for volunteers to work most/all of a shift (because of the training involved). However, if you can’t stay the whole time, simply add that comment on your sign up. If you have questions, please contact Nurse Tama at 393-4124 or firstname.lastname@example.org. View the available shifts and sign up HERE. Thank you!
ALL-SCHOOL SKATE NIGHT: Our first all-school skate night of the year will be on Tuesday night, from 6:00-8:00PM at Lynnwood Bowl & Skate (6210 200th St SW, Lynnwood, 425-778-3133). Admission is $8 per person, including quad skate rental; in-line skate rental upgrades are available for an additional $3.25. Bring the whole family (but please, no drop-offs)! Scholarships are available. To inquire, stop by to see Annie Gage or send her an e-mail at email@example.com.
HIGHLY CAPABLE COMMUNITY MEETING: Join us for an evening of perspectives and planning! Hear from school board candidates, meet a former Shoreline Hi Cap student (now a UW Early Entrance program student), and be a part of the discussion about taking SHCPA into the future. You can find additional event details and learn more about SHCPA HERE. We hope to see you!
ARTWISE DURING CONFERENCE WEEK: Looking for conference week options for your student? Artwise is offering half-day camp! Learn new vocabulary and explore a variety of materials are you paint, draw, and collage your way though a week of “Amazing Animals!” Sign up on 6crickets.
MATH CLUB is accepting registrations, until Sunday, 11/3! This club’s goals are to improve problem-solving skills, participate in the math competition experience, make friends and have fun. We explore challenging math concepts, both independently and collaboratively, and participate in math contests, including Math Olympiad, Math Is Cool, and MOEMS. Sign up today HERE, or find out more information HERE!
GRANT APPLICATIONS: Meridian Park PTSA has $6,000 of grant funds available for the ’19-’20 school year to support enrichment, unique learning opportunities, and program enhancement. Anyone in the MP community can apply for a PTSA grant. Applications are due Thursday, Nov. 7th by 5:00PM via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Visit the Meridian Park PTSA Grant Opportunities webpage to download the application, guidelines, and see examples of previously funded projects. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, or if you would like to be part of the team that reviews projects for funding!
DECEMBER BOOK FAIR: Volunteers are needed for the one-day Book Fair on Tuesday, December 3rd. If you can help during one of the shifts below, or during any custom time frame, please contact Jenny Hillger, MP librarian, at email@example.com or 206-393-4125. We would love to have at least 3 volunteers per shift.
- SET-UP: Tuesday, November 26th, 3:00-4:00PM
- BOOK FAIR: Tuesday, December 3rd, 8:30 – 10:30AM | 10:15 – 12:15PM | 12:00 – 2:00 | 1:45 – 4:00 | 5:00 – 6:15 | 5:30 – 6:45 | 6:00 – 7:30 | 7:00 – 8:00 (take-down)
Annual Notification: the Title 1 School/Parent Compact for this school year is attached. This general learning plan applies to all students but no action is needed. If you have a question, please contact David or Derek. Thank you!
UPCOMING EVENTS & VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
- Now through October 31st: Consider donating to the Shoreline Special Needs PTSA Classroom Grant Fund HERE
- Monday 11/4-Friday 11/8: Conferences
- Tuesday 11/5: MPPTSA Meeting, 6:30-8:00PM
- Wednesday, 11/6: “Angst” Film Screening, 7:00-9:00PM at Brookside Elementary, co-hosted by MPPTSA
- Thursday 11/7: Teacher Appreciation; volunteer to provide a hearty appetizer HERE!
- Thursday, 11/7: MPPTSA grant applications due
- Thursday, 11/7: Shoreline Special Needs PTSA (SSNPTSA) General Membership meeting, 7:30-8:30 at Shoreline center
- Monday, 11/11: Veterans Day, NO SCHOOL
- Tuesday, 11/12: Picture re-takes
- Wednesday, 11/13: Parent Education Night 6:30-8pm in the MP cafeteria, featuring Cher Anderton presenting “Tools to Deal with Your Child’s Big Emotions”
- Tuesday 11/26 & Tuesday 12/3: One-Day December Book Fair
- Support your Meridian Park PTSA! MPPTSA helps provide access to programs, events, clubs, and so much more.
- The Meridian Park PTSA kicked off their Annual Fundraising Campaign on Friday, October 25th. This is the time of year when they ask our school community to donate money to support their work, like providing enrichment activities, all-school events, parent education, art docent materials, teacher grants, and more! You can donate through the website MPPTSA.org, PayPal, or by check/cash. Watch for the white envelope and flyer coming home soon. For every donation, you will receive a chance to enter a drawing for a gift card to Ohana Restaurant, generously donated by the Yoshimura family, and a Cheetah Champion key ring!
- Become a member!
- Fill out the volunteer survey
- Bring your box tops! Meridian Park is making a roar with 3,542 BoxTops turned in so far this year! Way to go, Cheetahs!! All Cheetahs (as well as friends, neighbors and relatives!) can help earn money for Meridian Park by participating in the BoxTops for Education program at Meridian Park! For more info, go to https://BTFE.com or email MPPTSAboxtops@gmail.com
- Link your Fred Meyer card. [PTSA#TY486]
- Have a business you want to promote AND support the MPPTSA? Contact Naomi Hillyard at firstname.lastname@example.org to connect and find out how.
From the Office: Friday was a lot of fun with Cheetah Spirit, pies in the faces of David and Derek at lunch, and a super fun all school recess. We had the best Fall Festival ever Friday night thanks to Julie and many PTA friends and volunteers. Thank you to the many families who attended. If you have not already, please confirm your conference day/time this week and we will see you the week of Nov 4. Thanks for making MP such a great place to learn and grow!