MP Update for October 14
Follow us on Instagram: meridianparkelementary
Monday-Wednesday – Fifth grade students and staff at Camp Orkila!
Wednesday – Early Release Day, 1:50 Dismissal
Thursday – MPPTSA Community Coffee, 9:05-10:05AM (see below)
Thursday – Earthquake Drill 10:30 am
Conferences this year are the week of November 4th. Please watch for sign-ups and information coming home with your students.
OCTOBER IS DISABILITY HISTORY MONTH (DHM): This importance observance helps to raise awareness about the history of disability rights and highlight the contributions and accomplishments of people empowered by those rights. At MP, we celebrate all the ways we are One Community, Stronger Together. We invite you and your family to spend some time together this month discovering the impact of disability rights and the importance of including people of all abilities. You can start HERE with the story of a Shorewood High School student, part of a five-video series created by The Office of the Education Ombuds and Rooted in Rights to commemorate DHM.
COMMUNITY COFFEE: All are welcome to attend! Please stop by for coffee and conversation on Thursday in the MP main lobby after drop-off. Our principal, David Tadlock, will share information about the ways MP supports students with special needs, and we will have information available about the district-wide Shoreline Special Needs PTSA.
GRANT APPLICATIONS: Meridian Park PTSA has $6,000 of grant funds available for the ’19-’20 school year to support enrichment, unique learning opportunities, and program enhancement. Anyone in the MP community can apply for a PTSA grant. Applications are due Thursday, Nov. 7th by 5:00 pm via email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit the Meridian Park PTSA Grant Opportunities webpage to download the application, guidelines, and see examples of previously funded projects. Contact email@example.com with questions, or if you would like to be part of the team that reviews projects for funding!
SHORELINE HEALTH EDUCATION: Mark your calendars! The Shoreline School District will be offering health instruction in grades K-12 as part of our comprehensive health education program. Parents and guardians are invited to learn about the goals of this program and preview the instructional materials during the public review on Tuesday, 10/22, 6:30 pm. Shoreline Room, Shoreline Center.
MATH CLUB is still accepting registrations! This club’s goals are to improve problem-solving skills, participate in the math competition experience, make friends and have fun. We explore challenging math concepts, both independently and collaboratively, and participate in math contests, including Math Olympiad, Math Is Cool, and MOEMS. Sign up today HERE, or find out more information HERE!
UPCOMING EVENTS & VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
- Now through October 31st: Consider donating to the Shoreline Special Needs PTSA Classroom Grant Fund HERE.
- Tuesday 10/22: Health Curriculum Night, 6:30PM
- Friday 10/25: Spirit Day—Cheetah Pride!
- Friday 10/25: Fall Carnival, sign up to volunteer HERE!
- Tuesday 10/29: Skate Night at Lynnwood Bowl and Skate, 6:00-8:00PM
- Thursday 11/7: Teacher Appreciation; volunteer to provide a hearty appetizer HERE!
- Now through December 31st: Help our 6th graders get to Camp Orkila! Return your Brown Bear Car Wash Ticket order forms any time. Contact Suni Tolton firstname.lastname@example.org or Elizabeth Swan at email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering or if you need an additional order form.
- Support your Meridian Park PTSA! MPPTSA helps provide access to programs, events, clubs, and so much more.
- Become a member! Send in your yellow membership envelope today or register online HERE.
- Fill out the volunteer survey HERE to be notified of opportunities that interest you.
- Bring your box tops! Drop them off any time in the box in the school’s main lobby.
- Link your Fred Meyer card HERE. [PTSA#TY486]
- Have a business you want to promote AND support the MPPTSA? Contact Naomi Hillyard at firstname.lastname@example.org to connect and find out how.
From the Office: Cheetahs had a great week of leading and learning. Kindergarten Friendship Night and Fire Safety Activities were super awesome! Congratulations to ALL Executive Committee members for positive, spirited campaigns; and congrats to our new student council officers. This week we practice our earthquake procedures with the State Earthquake Drill on Thursday morning. MP is a leader in this area and we encourage all families to talk and prepare as a family for the possibility of an earthquake. Please read together this week, and we hope to see you at school soon. MP Staff • One Community • Stronger Together • Celebrating Learning