MP Update for February 3
Follow us on Instagram: meridianparkelementary\
Wednesday – Early Release, 1:50 PM Dismissal
Saturday – PTSA Meeting, 10-11:30AM (see below)
February is Black History Month! In recognition, you are invited to join Shoreline Public Schools and the City of Shoreline this week in its inaugural Black Voices: A Community Opportunity. All are welcome to participate and to attend the events! More information on this Shoreline Public School District opportunity can be found here: https://www.shorelineschools.org/blackvoices
PTSA MEETING: February’s PTSA meeting will be the second of two Saturday meetings that we are trying out this school year in an effort to find times that are accessible to the wider community. Please join us this Saturday, 2/8, in the library from 10-11:30am — coffee, fruit, and pastries will be provided. Free childcare available.
BOXTOPS FOR EDUCATION: Remember to turn in your Boxtops for Education certificates in the Meridian Park lobby, or scan your grocery receipts on the Boxtops for Education app ( https://www.boxtops4education.com ). Thank you, Cheetahs, for helping support Meridian Park! Every Boxtop makes a difference.
REGISTRATION FOR PARENTS NIGHT OUT: Sign up soon for your spot(s) at a special “Parents Night Out” on Friday, 2/14, hosted by our Art Docent Parent Volunteers to raise funds for next year’s program. Cost: $25 per child (cash or check), which includes dinner, crafts galore & the movie Aladdin. Reserve your space with flyer from kid mail, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES:
- Week of 2/3-2/8: MP PTSA Black Lives Matter at School (see below)
- Tuesday, 2/11:
- Rainwater Storytelling Author Visit (Kindergarten) 9:30AM
- All School Skate Night 6-8PM at Lynnwood Bowl & Skate; $8 covers admission and quad skate rental; in-line skate rental is an additional $3.25. Non-skating chaperones enter for free. See Annie Gage for scholarship vouchers or e-mail her at email@example.com
- Thursday, 2/13: Community Coffee, featuring MP’s Deans of Students 9:05-10:05AM
- Friday, 2/14:
- Student store open (K, 1, 2 order forms come home this week)
- “Parents Night Out” event fundraiser by Art Docent Team, 6-8pm
- Tuesday, 2/25: 5th & 6th grade parents – Einstein Information Night, 6:30-8:00PM at MP
- Friday, 2/28: ASB Spirit Day – Crazy Hat & Hair Day!
- Saturday, 2/29: Pushout Film Screening & Discussion Panel, 2-5PM at the Edmonds Library Plaza Room
- Wednesday, 3/4: HiCap student panel, 6:30-8:30PM at Meridian Park
MONTH OF FEBRUARY: PTSA invites you to join us in honoring Black History Month and Black Lives Matter at School National Week of Action! Please visit this link to see all the upcoming opportunities we have planned.
- MP PTSA BLACK LIVES MATTER AT SCHOOL LIBRARY DRIVE All month long, families can purchase books to support representation and diversity in our library by visiting bit.ly/BLMatMeridianPark (note: this link will direct you to our wish list on AmazonSmile — be sure to select Meridian Park Family Association PTSA as your designated non-profit to support!).
All purchases will be gifted directly to the MP library. Selected titles provide language about race and diversity, historical context surrounding social justice movements, fictional titles featuring black youth as the main characters, and bilingual texts that celebrate Ethiopian languages and culture.
- WEEK OF 2/3-2/8: MP PTSA BLACK LIVES MATTER AT SCHOOL
- Keep an eye on MP PTSA’s Facebook and Instagram, where the winners of our Black Lives Matter at School Creative Challenge will be featured throughout the week! Thank you so much to all the talented students who submitted work on this important topic!
- Thursday, 2/6: Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut Assembly (Grades 1-6) 2:30PM Join us in the cafeteria as we enjoy Book-It Repertory Theater’s performance based on the award-winning book, Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut — “a high-spirited, engaging salute to the beautiful, raw, assured humanity of black boys and how they see themselves when they approve of their reflections in the mirror.”
- Saturday, 2/8: MP student work for BLM@School Creative Challenge featured at The Rise of BLM Film & Arts event at Shoreline Community College Theater, 1-4pm.
MPPTSA WANTS YOU — BE ON THE 2020/21 BOARD! There are many big and small opportunities to help support our school community: Co-President, Co-VP of Volunteer Engagement, Co-Treasurer, and more! Please reach out to MPPTSApresident@gmail.comif you’d like to learn more, and start shadowing someone today!
From the Office: Congrats PTSA and Kinder Team on a super fun Winter Ball. Congratulations all Cheetahs on a super successful first semester! Progress reports go home Feb 14. Please join us in celebrating Black History and kindness in February. Thank you for making us One Community, Stronger Together.