• February 16-20 – Mid Winter Break
• February 24 – Student Council Student Store 8:40-9:00am
• February 27 and 28 – MP Students perform Alice in Wonderland at 7:00pm at Shorewood H.S.
GOLDEN ACORN/OUTSTANDING EDUCATOR AWARDS
Please vote online for this year’s MP Golden Acorn award winner (a volunteer recognized for his/her dedication and service to children and youth) and Outstanding Educator award winner (an individual who has provided outstanding educational opportunities for children and youth that are beyond the normal scope of their job).
To vote for the Golden Acorn award: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FQHP85B
To vote for the Outstanding Educator award: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F3WLXJN
MERIDIAN PARK POSITIVE BEHAVIOR COMMITTEE
MP’s Positive Behavior Committee is looking for two or three parents to supervise our monthly Very Important Cheetah (VIC) lunches.
The lunches are from 11:15 – 1:30 on the following dates: February 26th, March 26th, April 30th, May 28th, and June 11th. Volunteers’ duties include setting up the tables on the stage in the cafeteria for the VICs, making sure VICs get to the tables, get their drinks, and take their photo. That’s it! If you are interested in helping with one or more of these lunches, please contact Jenny Hillger (jenny.hillger) or Megan Jones (megan.jones).
ALICE IN WONDERLAND TICKETS
DandyLyon Drama and MP PTSA invite you to see MP students acting in Alice in Wonderland. Showtimes are Friday, February 27 and Saturday, February 28 at 7:00pm at the Shorewood High School Performing Arts Auditorium. Tickets are $5.00/student, $7.00/Adult. Tickets can be pre-ordered by using the form sent home in this week’s kid mail. The pre-order form can also be found at MPPTSA.org and in the MP office. Questions about tickets? Please contact Jill Steinberg at jrsteinberg.
BOX TOPS – February 23 at 9:00am
Looking for an easy, one time volunteer job? Join us on Monday, February 23rd at 9:00am in the staff lounge as we trim and prep Box Tops to be redeemed for $. We’ll provide the scissors and coffee! Please contact Krista Keller atkrista_keller for more information or to RSVP.
The pink Box Tops sheet that was sent home in kid mail is a fun way to submit Box Tops. Just glue ten Box Tops to the sheet in the empty boxes in the hearts and turn in the completed sheets into the MP office by February 23rd. If you have more than ten Box Tops, please send them all in. The more Box Tops, the more $ for Meridian Park!
HEALTH OFFICE WISH LIST
The Health Office is hoping for donations of healthy snacks: String cheese, small packages of crackers/pretzels, fruit leather, applesauce (individually packaged), granola/nutrition bars (nut free if possible), and yogurt squeeze tubes. If you are able to contribute snacks, please feel free to drop them off at the MP front office or the Health Office. Thank you for your support!
The Shoreline Math Olympiad (SMO) for Elementary and Middle School takes place on Saturday March 14, 2015 at Shoreline Community College (SLCC) from 8:30 am to approx 3:00 pm.
All MP students are invited to participate under the auspices of the MP Math Club. Students do not need to be MP Math club members to participate. Teams and individual students who wish to compete must register through the MP Math Club. As this is put on by the Shoreline schools and many volunteers, it is good to get civic pride from this event. It takes place on a usually rainy Saturday in March, so it is a good weekend activity for kids.
Once you have sent your reservation, there will be more information forthcoming about logistics, schedule, etc.
1) Info. For information about SMO visit this link:
2) Fee. There is no fee to participate in this event! The competition is free to Shoreline students as it is supported by local sponsors and run by volunteers.
3) Reservation Email, Reserve Your Spot. For MP students not in math club who want to participate in Shoreline Math Olympiad, to reserve your spot in a team, send the following information by February 15, 2015 to the MP math Club coordinator at: mpmathclub, with "SMO 2015" in the subject header, please provide the following:
Student Info: First Name, Last name , School Grade, Grade competing (if different from School Grade), Other team members (if any)
Parent(s) Info: parent name, parent phone, parent email
4) Teams. For students not in MP Math club, if they are forming a team of four students, then list the names of the other students on the team in the Reservation email. If they do not form a team, and if there are sufficient numbers of other students, Math Club leader will assign them teams with other individual students.
5) Levels. Competition is tailored for grades 4, 5, 6. Students in grades 2, 3 compete at grade 4 level. Students may "compete up" if they wish; i.e a 4th grader can compete in the 5th grade category. Indicate the competition level if different from the child’s grade level in the Reservation Email.
6) Practice Makes Progress. Students can refer to past tests and answers at these links. We recommend practicing at least 1 to 2 hours per week in advance. It is a great family activity to work these problems with your child.
Practice test https://sites.google.com/site/shorelinematholympiadwa/resources-for-school-team-coaches/practice-tests
SMO prior tests http://fac-staff.seattleu.edu/nirmalag/web/mpmathclub/SMO4.html
SMO 2013 test https://sites.google.com/site/shorelinematholympiadwa/home/smo-2013/2013-tests
7) Parent Volunteers. This is a no-cost, volunteer driven event that relies on community support. There is a need for chaperone, data entry, scoring, proctoring. There are good snacks for volunteers. To volunteer, visit SMO sitehttps://sites.google.com/site/shorelinematholympiadwa/meet-the-planning-team/volunteer
8) For any questions, email mpmathclub and refer to the Club website, http://mpmathclub.com , under "forms-and-policies > permission-slips" .
Math Club 2014 – 2015
SAVE THE DATE!
• March 3 – PTSA Board of Director’s Meeting 7:00-8:30pm
• March 5 – Westside Choral Concert (6th Grade Honor Choir) – 7:00-8:30pm Einstein Gym
• March 13 – Popcorn Friday
March 14 – Shoreline Math Olympiad for Elementary and Middle School at Shoreline Community College from 8:30 am to approx 3:00pm