THIS WEEK AT MERIDIAN PARK
- March 8 – Shoreline Math Olympiad at Shoreline Community College (Only those who have preregistered may participate)
- March 10 – April 1 – Read-a-thon
- March 12 – Getting School Ready…Sing with our Kids and Nancy Stewart 6:30-8:30 at The Shoreline Children’s Center
- March 12 – Shoreline Special Needs PTA Meeting 6:30 – 8:30 pm at Shoreline Conference Center, Spartan Room
- March 12 – 5th Grade Band and Orchestra Debut Concert 7:00pm
- March 13 – Eric Ode Visits K-2 grades
- March 13 – Camp Orkila Parent Meeting 6:00 – 7:00 pm in Room 402
- March 21 and March 22 – MP Drama Club’s musical Bad Apples – 7:00 pm at the Shorecrest High School Performing Arts Center
- March 25 and 26 – Writer Brett Gadbois visits 3 – 6 grades
THE MERIDIAN PARK PTSA NEEDS YOU!
Do you have terrific ideas you would like to see implemented at Meridian Park? Please think about becoming a volunteer PTSA officer for the 2014-2015 school year. Open positions include:
Co-Treasurer (we already have one Co-Treasurer) – Responsible for managing the funds of our PTSA, assist in creating future budgets, co-signing checks, submitting monthly budget reports for review, depositing monies, and overseeing reimbursements. Great job for someone who is good with numbers!
Vice President of Programs – Responsible for researching and implementing enrichment classes before and/or after school (i.e. Spanish, Chess, French….)
These positions require a small time commitment and the benefits of helping the Meridian Park community are huge! PTSA Board of Directors Meetings are held the first Tuesday of the month and are always open to the public. This is a great opportunity to expand your social circle at Meridian Park and become more involved in school activities.
Have questions? Feel free to contact Jill Steinberg at jrsteinberg or (206) 356-5977.
FREE DENTAL SEALANT DAY – March 8
The Greater Seattle Dental Hygienists’ Society is sponsoring a Free Dental Sealant Day for children and teens ages 4 through 18. Shoreline Community College, Dental Hygiene Clinic, 2500 Bldg, 16101 Greenwood Avenue North, Shoreline. From 9:00 am – 3:00 pm.
HELPING OUR KIDS COPE WITH STRESS – March 12 from 7:00-8:00 pm
Please join us for an evening with Sue Eastgard, Director of the Youth Suicide Prevention Program for Washington State, to discuss stressors facing our adolescents and how to best support our young people. The evening is primarily for parents and the focus will be on secondary students (7th – 12th grades) and will review various resources and coping strategies. It is open to all Shoreline School District families. There is no registration required or cost to attend. Please join us for this important conversation in the Shoreline Room, Shoreline School District offices.
SHORELINE SPECIAL NEEDS PTA MEETING – March 12 6:30-8:30 Spartan Room at Shoreline Conference Center
Come meet Shoreline District’s Special Ed administrators:
Amy Vujovich – Director of Student Services, Hillery Clark – Director of Early Childhood Program, Fircrest, and PT & OT, Ellen Kaje – Director of Title 1, LAP, ELL, and Highly Capable Programs, Holly Eigenbrood – Special Education Coordinator, Karena Valiquette – Student Services Coordinator
They will discuss their roles in the district and participate in a moderated panel discussion.
Writer and poet Eric Ode will be at Meridian Park on Thursday, March 13th, to work with kindergarteners, first graders, and second graders. They will work with rhyme and rhyme, poetry and stories. His website is www.ericode.com.
Writer Brett Gadbois, author of The Cellar Door, will hold writers’ workshops for third through sixth graders on Tuesday and Wednesday, March 25th and 26th. Students will work on developing ideas and finding their voices as writers. His website is www.brettgadbois.com.
WILL YOU BE ATTENDING MP NEXT YEAR?
Every year we ask parents to confirm their student’s return to Meridian Park for the next school year. Please be on the look out for this form to be sent out on February 26 with a due date of March 12th. We kindly request that everyone respond. Thanks!
CAMP FAIR: Sat March 15, 10am-1pm The Evergreen School 15201 Meridian Ave. N., Shoreline
Explore hundreds of new ideas for summer fun and learning at this free community event. 50+ camp programs will participate and share a wide variety of options for preschoolers to teens. RSVP for a chance to win a free week at YMCA Camp Orkila, Camp Colman or The Evergreen School Summer program. Details at www.parentmap.com/campfair
SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR FIESTA – April 14 – 18
Our big Scholastic Book Fair will run the week of April 14 – 18 in the library.
Hours will be 8:40 – 4:00 Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 – 1:00 on Friday. The book fair will also be open during Open House on Thursday, April 17th, from 5:30 pm until 7:30 pm. More detailed information will be sent home the week before the fair.
We depend upon volunteers to help our book fairs run smoothly. If you are able to volunteer for a 1 ½ to 2-hour shift, please let me know. Email: jenny.hillger. Phone: 206-393-4125. Thanks!
SAVE THE DATE!
- April 1 – PTSA Meeting 6:30 – 8:00 pm
- April 3 – MP Skating Part at Lynnwood Bowl and Skate 6pm – 8pm
- April 3 – Getting Ready for School Concert with Nancy Stewart 6:30 – 7:30 pm Shoreline Conference Center, Shoreline Room
- April 14 Car Show Volunteer Meeting (for anyone interested in joining the team for this amazing event) 7:00pm – 8:00 pm
- April 17 – Meridian Park Open House 5:00 – 7:00 pm
- April 17 – Writer Clete Smith, author of the Aliens on Vacation series, will make two presentations to third through sixth graders. His website is www.cletebarrettsmith.com
- May 6 – PTSA Meeting 6:30 – 8:00 pm
- May 29 – MP Arts Festival 6:00 – 8:00 pm